Public hearings are designed to allow you to give your feedback to the Rural Municipality of Lac du Bonnet’s Council and express your views on community matters that may affect you. They are open to all members of the public, whether they live in Lac du Bonnet or not.
According to The Municipal Act, formal public hearings must be held for:
- The Presentation of the RM’s annual financial plan
- To announce revisions to the operating budget that increases transfers from surplus and reserves, increases tax revenue, or increases estimates in the capital budget
- To announce intention to use funds from a special purpose reserve for a different purpose
- A proposal to close a municipal road
- A proposal for local improvements or special services.
According to The Planning Act, formal public hearings must be held for:
- A proposal to adopt or amend a development plan
- A proposal to adopt or amend a zoning by-law
- An application to subdivide property that results in a new public road being created
- An application to vary requirements of a zoning by-law
- An application for conditional use.
At public hearings, Council members hear presentations from individuals and delegations and ask questions about information presented if necessary. They may establish time limits for presentations or decline to hear presentations if they are satisfied the matter in question has already been adequately addressed.
All presentations before Council, whether verbal or written, become part of the public record. This includes any documents or evidence a presenter submits. Those making a presentation before Council at a public hearing are asked to provide a copy of all documents for the official record.
After hearing all presenters, Council can opt to render a decision or adjourn their decision to a later date. Recaps and minutes from the public hearing will be posted to the RM’s website and social media.
If Council adjourns their decision, they will provide a written decision outlining their rationale when they do render one, generally at a future Regular Council Meeting. Their decision will be sent to all those that made representation at the public hearing, and will be reflected in the meeting minutes and meeting recap.